Welcome to Christ Lutheran Church! This website is designed to give a visitor a brief introduction to Christ Lutheran Church in Noblesville.
Church Season: Advent
Advent is a time of preparation in the Church. Not only preparation of Christmas but preparing for Jesus Return. At the beginning of Advent, the focus is upon Christ’s return, the resurrection of the dead, and life everlasting in the new Heaven and Earth. Each week that we move toward Christmas we also prepare for the celebration of Christ’s Birth. During the Season of Advent, the Church begins with prayers with the phrase, “Stir up . . .” These collects, will help collect the thoughts of our midweek Advent sermons this year as we consider God’s action for us through the incarnation of Jesus Christ. During this busy season, consider worship God pleasing preparation for Christmas and life.
Instead of fussing and fuming about the commercialization of Christmas, the church quietly offers an alternate way of approaching December 25th. Here are some ways to let the quiet spirit of Advent permeate our homes and congregations as we prepare with great joy for the celebration of our Lord’s birth:
- Use an Advent calendar for daily devotions at home. Little children (and the little child inside of adults, too) enjoy the discovery of the picture and Bible verse that hide behind the windows.
- As a family, learn by heart one of the Advent hymns of the church. “Savior of the Nations, Come” is a great one, and so is “Oh, Come, Oh, Come, Emmanuel.” Both of these hymns express the quiet waiting and fervent longing for Christ’s threefold coming: his great appearing at the end of time, his coming to us now in Word and Sacrament, and his coming in our human flesh at
- Use the Advent wreath as the primary symbol for the season. At home, put it on the table in the dining room, and light it for all evening meals. (If you don’t have one, they are very easy to make– and that’s a great family project, too).
- Take advantage of Christ Lutheran Church Advent Suppers. For a donation to the Men’s Retreat, LWML, and Crusaders have your Wednesday dinner prepared and the mess clean up by others so that you can enjoy Bell Choir, Choir Practice or the Worship that evening.
- Join your fellow members at Christ Lutheran as we prepare in worship, study and song. On Wednesday evenings: December 5, 12 and 19 at 7pm, we will consider the “The Divine Hymns of Emmanuel”
- For Daily Devotions use an Advent Devotional provided by LAMP Ministries and Lutheran Indian Ministries. They are on the table by the main doors.
In all these and many other ways, we confess as a church that it is good to wait for the salvation of God, and that preparation is part and parcel of celebration. A blessed Advent to one and all!